Sunday, November 4, 2012

Whoops! Woe! Work! Whew!

The weekend had a lot of blah in it, and it's all my own fault....

I was in the process yesterday of finishing an art piece that I've worked on periodically since before Fest was even over for the season, and -- wouldn't you know it! -- as my mind wandered and my hand worked, I watched my own self make an error that I couldn't correct.

No electric eraser was gonna come to my rescue as this was a big old ink error. I cursed creatively. I beat myself up. I appealed to the art gods. I weighed my options. I couldn't figure out how to incorporate my mistake. And I couldn't bear to take an X-Acto knife to it and mortise in a solution. So I shut the door on it all and walked away.

But inside I knew what I had to do; I just didn't want to do it. And there was no time to think creatively, as the piece would be my gift to my grandson, whose first birthday party was scheduled for today. 
 
Within minutes of realizing my error, I phoned my daughter and explained the situation, and she completely understood if I was unable to finish the gift on time.... But I was less understanding. I couldn't cut myself the slack! Maybe I could have somehow if what had happened to it was an accident. But this was an error of 'seeing.' I'd literally drawn something incorrectly and then inked in my mistake, and I couldn't forgive myself. I knew better.
 
I would have to start all over again.
 
So all night long I worked -- retracing what I could salvage and redrawing what I couldn't, then blocking out my color choices, inking in my pencil work, and rendering the color. And drinking coffee, too. And watching hoaky late-night television.... 
 
I couldn't leave anything until morning. PartyTime was noon, and I was afraid that if I went to bed at all I'd oversleep. The piece was eventually framed at 5:00 a.m. and I debated even bothering going to bed at that hour. But then I realized that it was Daylight Saving Time -- sleep was mine after all! Yes, it was just an hour, but it was a dipped-in-GOLD hour. 
 
Now the party's over. The gift's been given and received. And seeing the finished piece satisfies me. That being said, today I'm thankful for:
  • The big clunky x-ray viewer that I use for a lightbox. (Beats heck out of the pane of window glass and the desk-lamp-on-the-floor-at-my-feet that I used to use.)
  • Autumn Daylight Saving Time!
  • Waking up not feeling hungover-ish from sleep deprivation.
  • A corner slice of birthday cake. (Three times the frosting!)
  • A grandson so handsome that I could just kiss his face off.
See? Most beautiful boy EVER.
:)
...

1 comment:

  1. Glad things worked out in the end, despite all the distress! It was good of you to share--the lesson I'm personally taking away is to remember not to panic, to take a step away and then just get on with it when I mess up (which I do all too often)! Of course, my projects don't involve the kind of efforts yours do. It's just that you're so talented people overlook how much work actually goes into something you make appear so easily done!

    ReplyDelete