Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Studio Time

Artwork copyright Trina Schart Hyman
When my young daughters and I discovered the autobiography of one of my all-time favorite illustrators, Trina Schart Hyman, I took one look at the book's cover (at right), saw my own studio!, and immediately recognized her as a Kindred Spirit. And for all the years since this discovery, I've thought of Trina and her wonderful workspace whenever I've opened the door to my own.

My whole house looks like this ~ full of critters and clutter! ~ but it's been a big long while since my studio has.... The poor room's been the repository for All Things Without A Place for ages, and although I'm used to a certain level of chaos, I'm afraid it's reached a point where it makes even me crazy. Now in order to find my drawing table I need a shovel, a GPS, and a flare gun.

I'd planned to begin the big overhaul this week since my schedule was free, but that's changed. And I was lamenting that fact today on my outdoor trek until it occurred to me that my schedule always changes, and if I waited until the time was right, the time would never be right. It sounds stupid, I know, but I had a big a-ha moment out there in the snow, just stopped dead in my tracks and shook my head.

I can't imagine how long it'll take to get the place up to snuff again with only microscopic changes wedged here and there into my schedule, but I suspect my progress will surprise me. No job ever takes as long as I think it will.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment