Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Veronica Shafer -- Superhero!

Veronica 'n me!
As I stood behind my counter last Sunday at the Renaissance Festival, sharing a handful of my chrysalises and caterpillars with a few interested customers, a young lady in her teens entered my shop, accompanied by her mom and her two younger siblings. Veronica Shafer was there specifically to tell me about her achievements.

At the urging of her mother, Veronica shyly admitted to me that she'd successfully raised over 150 monarch butterflies!

And as if this incredible achievement wasn't enough, she then proudly told me about how she presented her project at this year's State Fair and won the Grand Champion award!

Of course, all of this made me do the happydance, as you can imagine. Ever since the summer I raised so many caterpillars that I was forced to take them all with me to Fest (just so my poor housesitter wouldn't have to deal with them in my absence) and people were curious about them and why I was raising them, folks stop in my shop all the time now to tell me about the milkweed they've planted and the caterpillars they're feeding.

(And I don't care who you are, one little kid telling you about how he raised a caterpillar until it became a butterfly will warm your heart and make your socks go up and down. I celebrate ALL the achievements!)

You can almost see her wings and halo in this picture!
But Veronica wasn't done yet.

She went on to tell me that she also approached her City Council, proposed that it take the Mayor's Monarch Pledge through the National Wildlife Federation, and suggested it create a pollinator garden at a local park, plant milkweed and native flowers in a nearby watershed area, and have an information booth at the local Fun Fest to educate the public about monarch butterflies!

And GUESS WHAT? -- her proposal was accepted! (Read about it on page 4 of Loretto's city newsletter!)

Veronica Shafer is a superhero. All the kiddos out there planting milkweed and learning about monarchs in school, all the kiddos looking for caterpillars and trying to raise them at home, all the kiddos who stop by now and share with me their monarch stories are superheroes. Knowing that they're doing this good work fills me with HOPE.

But here's the part that kills me with kindness.

Here's the part that breaks my heart and still gives me tears.

Veronica said she was inspired to do all this

because

of me.

The butterflies thank you, Veronica!
Once upon a time she came into my shop with her family and I showed her my brood of hungry, hungry hippos, and she became inspired. And I was completely unaware that all the while I was sharing silly stories about my monarch experiences I was actually making a memory for this incredible young person who is now going on to make a difference in the world as a result.

Wow.

I'm still... I don't know what... flabbergasted!

*big breath*

Anyway....

For the rest of that day after speaking with Veronica, I told EVERYONE about our meeting. Absolutely EVERYONE. And I'd end the story by saying, "Isn't this awesome!?"

And a dear friend whispered, "Do you know what's even more awesome, Delayne?.... That's only ONE that you know about."

...


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! My socks are still going up and down about this, LOL!

      Delete
  2. You touch the lives of countless individuals, and there are other heroes doing great things that you may never, ever know about. YOU are amazing. YOU are the reason there are young (and old) people are doing amazing things out there! YOU are loved! Keep being your amazing, awesome self!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annette! Such kind words, and I really needed to hear them today. Know that YOU are loved, too!

      Delete
  3. Hunter is STILL almost a week later talking about how he helped release a butterfly! Now to learn to do this lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, he was so sweet. I would've taken video if I could but my hands were full. Your little kiddo knows a LOT about monarchs, too, and he wasn't afraid to tell me all about them!

      Delete
  4. Hi this is Veronica Shafer. I just wanted to let you know that my city has just renewed the mayors monarch pledge. We can plant in some old flooded baseball field. They also thought it was a amazing idea for a identification sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica, that's WONDERFUL NEWS! You are such a monarch butterfly warrior and I'm incredibly proud of you, kiddo! The butterflies are heading our way; are you ready? I really think this year will be exceptional, and all your hard work will make them HAPPY. Thank you for all that you're doing!!

      Delete
    2. I can't wait to see how many butterflies we will raise. I will update you more at the Renaissance Festival. I can't wait to see you there!

      Delete
    3. I look forward to it, Veronica!

      Delete