Thursday, November 24, 2011

Black Friday, Small Biz Saturday, Cyber Monday -- Oh My!


I don't know about you, but I can't imagine setting foot outside my door this weekend for any reason. I did that once by mistake: I ran an errand for something absolutely trivial on Black Friday one year and thought I'd either lose my mind or commit a murder. NEVER AGAIN.
NEVER AGAIN!!

So as soon as the dishes are put away after Thanksgiving dinner, this girl is going to either curl up with a book, hide in front of a movie somewhere, or shop online perhaps. And I hope you'll do the same.

But be sure to shop small, 'k? There are a lot of creative people out there who are trying to make a living in this sad economy. You'll find many of them on Etsy. And here are a few of my Etsy faves (who just so happen to be readers right here on this blog -- get to know them, they're wonderful people!):

Check out Everyday Friends Art for quaint and colorful polymer clay houses that fit in the palm of your hand! You'll find other fun stuff there, too, like old-fashioned photo-style greeting cards, polymer ornaments, and buttons sporting the image of Her Maj.

StoneWing Designs offers exquisite handcrafted jewelry using semi-precious stones and other quality materials.

Handmade, affordable earrings for under five bucks?? Jeweled Fibers. Nothing else needs saying.

How about the rest of you? Got an Etsy shoppe? I've been burning the candle at both ends and the middle trying to set one up for myself -- it's been fun but I can certainly appreciate the amount of work you've done to get yours up and running!

So why not introduce yourself and your work by sharing directions to your shoppe here in the comments section so that we can all visit you this weekend from the comfort of our nice warm unchaotic homes (not to mention our nice warm super-comfy jammies).

And you're right, I did NOT point you to ME on Etsy. You can find me easily enough. And besides -- I'm a complete Newbie. These folks know what they're doing and are amazing at it.

So check them out, 'k?

Happy shopping!

...me.

4 comments:

  1. My favorite Etsy artist is Amber Alexander. She does these beautiful watercolors that are whimsically wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, dear friend, for the free publicity!! I've been checking your Etsy store for goods, so I hope you'll add some items very soon.

    Definitely the most time-consuming task is taking pictures of each item for sale. You can have up to 5 pictures of each item, so you can view it from every angle and highlight the details. I have a great camera, but taking photos requires using some of the manual settings, really good lighting and practice. A lot of the artists on Etsy share their insights and tips in articles and forums. There's even a "team" for newbies where you can post your questions and read advice from the real pros.

    So start now!

    Laurel Hanson, StoneWing Designs

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'She,' thankyou for pointing me in the direction of artist Amber Alexander. You're right -- her work is very charming and whimsical!

    Everyone: If you <3 watercolor art in the style of Beatrix Potter (I do!), please check out Ms. Alexander's work.

    Her weblog has all sorts of links to prints and originals:
    http://amberalexander.typepad.com/weblog/

    And her Etsy shop is currently hosting a big seasonal sale:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/amberalexander

    :)
    ...delayne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurel, your help is SO appreciated! I've taken your advice and signed on to one of the Etsy biz forums. I need all the help I can get! I'm lucky to have good friends already so experienced. :)

    Everyone: When you get a chance, check out Laurel's Etsy shop. http://www.etsy.com/shop/StoneWingDesigns

    And her blog, too: www.StoneWingDesignsJewelry.blogspot.com

    Thank you!
    :)
    ...delayne.

    ReplyDelete