Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Long-Distance Love -- :)

What could she be thinking, I wonder... :)
I recently had one of 'those' days: migraine filled and vise-like, oppressive and pressurized. I couldn't read, I couldn't draw. I became fixated on water.... I drank gallons of it and retained it spectacularly.

I should've guessed that my agony had something to do with the barometric pressure; most people feel approaching weather changes in their bones, but I think I feel them in my head. Either that or too many sun-filled days and I just spin a storm from my pain.

In any event, I went to bed that night exhausted and medicated only to have flashes of lightning on my eyelids interrupt my dreams and wake me. Having heard no thunder I half believed I'd dreamed the lightning, too, so I went outside in the dark and sat on the front step in my nightshirt. Sure enough -- a barrage of lightning flashes illuminated some distant clouds like a strobe. Just heat lightning, perhaps, as there were still twinkly stars in the sky. I went back to bed.

After my alarm sounded in the morning I curled under the covers with Boo and watched the sky outside my window darken dramatically. My headache had vanished and the storm had arrived at last! Windows were thrown open then to hear every thunder crash and catch every rain-freshened gust. Coffee was brewed. A candle was lit....

The household pets (the ones that respond to my alarm every morning with 'feed me!' cries) had interpreted the gloom as a return of the night and they hunkered down to sleep once more. My book-filled living room was still and shadowy. I watched as rain filled the street with a pool of swirling water that bubbled and frothed at the curb as it fed into the grate there faster than the storm sewer could accept it. I saw leaves and road flotsam caught in the eddies like fairy boats. I thought of my kids and days long ago when the three of us would be at that same window watching a similar scene....

And just then my phone gave a ping!: a text from my Eldest in California, asking was I available for a video chat. In my head I immediately thought, "She felt my vibes! She's on my frequency!" :)

And when our computer cameras connected, who should I see on the screen but my newest grandbug, front and center, responding to my face with coos and clicks and smiles. I talked to her and she listened. Then she talked to me and I listened. (Did you know that fairybabies have secrets they only tell their granny oddmothers? Well, they do!) I learned all about her recent camping adventure and how she was so keen on not missing a moment of it that she kept her poor parents awake the entire trip! :)

The storm wore itself out about the time our conversation ended. My little bug went off to nap and I went off to draw, thinking fondly of family and fairybabies. And the technological wizardry that can now connect us across the miles.
...

No comments:

Post a Comment