Friday, January 4, 2013

Good Question

Not long ago I signed up to receive a daily message in my In Box from my very own 'Inner Pilot Light' courtesy of Lissa Rankin.

What's an Inner Pilot Light, you ask? It's that feeling in your gut that tells you what's what. It's that little divine spark that makes you You. It's that authentic bit, that Inner Child that looks at everything with interest and wonder and complete honesty, that bit that asks the tough questions.

Most days its emails are spot on, telling me exactly what I need to hear at exactly when I need to hear it. Like today:
"My dear delayne,

Every day is a chance to start over. The past is behind you. The future has yet to happen. The only thing that truly exists is this moment. And in this moment, you can begin again.

So what do you want to create in this moment? Who are you in this moment? What old stories are you ready to let go of? What new ones are you ready to start?

Not sure?

Ask me.

With all the answers,

Your Inner Pilot Light"

When I read it, I almost glanced behind myself. I half-expected to see a little flicker there. With a face. Kind of like a Ghost of Christmas Past reading over my shoulder....



It's because just moments before I'd been thinking about my New Year's Day. About how James and I spent it watching nothing but streamed episodes of Rod Serling's 'Twilight Zone' and about how we were trying to catch up on every episode we'd never seen before (or if we had, we couldn't remember....).

One in particular was about a mirror in a crummy rented room occupied by a petty criminal. For the entire episode 'Jackie' ranted at his reflection about the choices he'd made and the company he kept -- until his reflection ranted back. The man Jackie saw in the mirror wanted out, a chance to live, an opportunity to steer the boat. And by the end the two had switched places; the two-bit hustler was now in the mirror and the confident, man-with-some-pride-in-himself was turning Jackie's life around.

It wasn't my favorite episode, but it was exactly what I needed to see on that first day of the New Year. It's since become my focus, and I'm hoping it will define my 2013.

And now today my Inner Pilot Light has gone ahead and asked me: Who am I in this moment? And it's had me thinking hard all day. A few moments ago I was Jackie, but right now I'm his reflection, and maybe tomorrow I'll be the mirror, looking right and left like I'm observing a badminton match while the wimpy Me on one shoulder argues with the confident Me on the other.... Who will win? Or will they meet in the middle? I'm interested to find out.

How about you? Who are YOU in this moment? Do you know? Or are you wondering about it like I am?

And if you're like me -- wondering, searching -- why not take a moment to check out Lissa's site (here), and perhaps even sign up to hear from your own Inner Pilot Light.

Your New Year will be the better for it. :)
... 

No comments:

Post a Comment